We will be
updating this section soon , we will include vehicles
currently held by the museum and a few regular visitors.
Housed & on display at the museum include
Dennis Turntable Ladder 38.2 meters/125 feet Car 49
Car 49 came into service 1956 at Ann St Fire
Station and remained in service until 1984.
Consists of a five-section ladder assembly mounted
on a special Dennis Chassis.
Powered by a straight eight cylinder petrol which
develops 146 BHP at 3000 RPM, reaches to a height of
125 feet or 38.2 metres.
Turntable ladders are a natural progression from the
manual ladders. They were developed to cope with
increased building heights, filling the need for a
type of ladder capable of a greater extended height
than ‘wheeled Escapes’.
A ladder that would be self-supporting and possess
the inherent stability to enable a monitor being
operated from its head.
Building heights have outstripped ladders in
relation to maximum safe extension, however there is
still an important role for turntable ladders in
both firefighting and rescue fields.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade Brisbane X no 7
B505 Mack Thermodyne, 6-cylinder petrol engine.
Mack Fire Appliance fitted with 50ft wheeled escape.
One of only six fully imported from the USA in a
cowl and chassis and original left hand drive
Replacements for Model 75 or 200 series Mack’s which
arrived Lend Lease from the USA in April 1942.
Body designed by Mr Viv Dowling Motor Officer for
Built by Enoggera Body Works South Pine and Raymont
Fitted with Gwynne – Single Impeller – Twin Volute
Pump capable of pumping 3375 litres a minute.
Also fitted with a Winn Rotary Geared Case One Pump.
Willys Jeep Pumper
not actual vehicle)
‘Noosa Car 1’
This Willys Jeep Fire Appliance started life at
Pomona , near Noosa, then made its way to Tawantin
and then Cooran, at the end of its service life
between 1986 and 1990 the vehicle served as a lube
mobile for other appliances running oils and alike
to various stations.
The Queensland Government supplied a number of these
units to small rural towns in the late 1950's and
The trucks left the Willys Brisbane factory as
cab/chassis and were converted in Brisbane prior to
being put into service throughout the state."
The vehicle came into service around 1957 or 58, has
an O’Hare Pump, and its motor is a ‘Hurricane 6’
The body was made by Enoggera Motor Body Works.
||Ford Bus Pump
not actual vehicle)
1983 Magirus Iveco
in the QFRS Fleet.
Magirus Iveco Turntable Ladder
Ladder Model: Magirus DL37, 37 metre (120 feet),
Magirus Deutz, 2270 LPM
Engine: Deutz air cooled V8 turbo engine 232 HP.
Transmission: Allison MT643 Automatic
In 1975 Magirus Deutz was purchased by Iveco. By
1983 when this TTL was purchased the company was
known as Magirus Iveco, but this forward control cab
design was destined to be deleted from the range in
the same year. Air-cooled engines were also being
phased out with the last one produced in 1988.
The Magirus name still continues with fire
appliances still produced, but it refers to the fire
fighting equipment and not the brand of truck.
most people think of a fire truck this shape comes
of the most used fire vehicles
one truck model in Australia.
1979 Model, Manual Transmission
Ex QFS then to Jimboomba Rural Fire Brigade
The first ACCO designated appliances with a flat
nose where released around 1973, if you also count
the 1600 series you can go back a further 5 years or
In the NSW Fire Brigade alone, the International
ACCO had at its peak around 400 various models based
on this shape.
This shape is still in use with the latest
technologies in Western Australia with Iveco now
holding this shaped model.
8 Cylinder (V8)
Originally from Beaudesert Urban Fire Brigade until
the mid 1970’s this unit was handed to the Greenbank
Rural Fire Brigade when Beaudesert was supplied with
a new Fire Appliance.
This vehicle was donated to the Fire Brigades
Historical Society in March of 1999.
type of Appliance is fitted with a Mars 500 G.P.M
1934 Dennis250/400 Fire Engine
Car 233 Delivered into NSW Fire Brigade service
Retired in June 1969 to an amusement operator in
Vehicle ended up in the Brickworks Museum in
Canberra, this site then closed in the Mid 80’s and
3 of these type of vehicles ended up in the ACT Fire
Brigade Museum with Car 233 finding its way to
Queensland, how and when it made it here is unclear
but is believed to be after 1980.
Ford - Austral Expo 88 Fire Appliance
More details to follow
1947 Dennis F1 Fire Appliance
This Dennis was in service with the NSW Fire
Brigades, Car 19, in December 1951
The vehicle has a 400 GPM pump and its body style is
unique to NSW Fire Brigades.
The vehicle left the NSW Fire Brigades in April 1978
and made its way to Queensland in 1994, no details
of how or why are available.
Images & details to
be added soon
Open Cab - Rural
Landcruiser - Rural
* Mack Wheeled
2009 Queensland Fire Museum